Running a small business is a huge commitment, both of your time and your energy levels. Are you ready to make this step?
Once you enter into the world of being a small business operator you will suddenly find that instead of having only one job, you are juggling a multitude! The best time to access your skill level and resolve any difficulties you may face in the future is before your start.
Take our self assessment test to help you decide what you need to improve on, outsource or hire staff to handle. You will also find this a handy way to recognise your strengths and maximise them.
The Small Business Development Corporations Starting a Business workshop will give you the basic information needed to start your business. This workshop will arm you with information and refer you to resources that will help you plan your business.
Are you committed enough to make it work?
It is important to understand that there is a vast difference between you enjoying your weekend or holiday pastime and offering that same activity on a commercial basis to paying customers with a high expectation level. Test your level of commitment with these questions:
- Are you prepared to work 7 days a week if necessary?
- How long do you intend on being in the tourism industry?
- What level of commitment are you prepared to make - are you going to run the business on a full time or a part time basis?
- Are you prepared to work long hours and be interrupted at any time of the day?
- How will the business impact on your family?
What do you know about the tourism industry?
Deciding to become a part of the tourism industry is a major lifestyle and financial decision. Make sure you are making your decision for all the right reasons. Ask yourself the following questions and carefully consider your answers:
- Why do you want to be involved in this industry?
- What experience do you have?
- Do you relate well to people - can they relate to you?
- Are you prepared to give up taking holidays at the best times of the year?